Saturday 24 December 2011

INTERVAL (of sorts): Blackwork

I've called it an interval, but Blackwork is a type of embroidery and, as it is done on evenweave like cross-stitch, it's very close to the sewing I've had up here already.
Blackwork was a popular style of embroidery in Elizabethan England. It was used to decorate their clothes, and the various patterns were used as shading without needing a lot of colour (which was more expensive). I found out about it when I found a book about it in Hobbycraft this week. I haven't bought it yet, but I found a book in the library that had some examples of Blackwork patterns that I have been copying to bid my time until the book arrives. It looks quite stunning, I think, but you can make up your own mind...


Just a heads up, there will probaby be some more of this type of embroidery in the future :D

No comments:

Post a Comment